Private Mountain Guiding and Instruction
Hire your private mountain guide.
Our high levels of qualifications and experience, coupled with excellent local knowledge and friendly approach will ensure safe and rewarding adventures.
Engaging the services of your private mountain guide, at anytime of the year, is available as a popular alternative to attending a set mountaineering course with other people. Together we will design a bespoke itinerary that will meet your requirements and help you to achieve your ambitions, whether you are an individual or part of a group. The duration and location can be tailored to your requirements.
One of the main advantages of private mountain guiding is that is is delivered entirely around your aspirations. A flexible approach enables the pace of the course and level of challenge to be easily adjusted to match your ability and experience. This ensures that skills are developed progressively and at a suitable pace.
All of the mountain guides, instructors and leaders that we employ for all of our courses are all very active mountaineers and climbers. All have climbed and walked extensively throughout the UK and many have been on adventurous expeditions around the world. With such a wealth of experience, we will make sure that we find the right professional for you.
West Coast Mountain Guides enjoy the challenge of accommodating even the wildest requests; allow us to help provide you a safe and enjoyable time in the mountains.
Private mountain guiding and instruction ratios will depend on the type of activity requested. Prices will reflect the location, duration and number of people who want to participate. Please see below for our pricing structure. If you would like some help with your request or wish to discuss ideas and options with an experienced instructor, please get in touch.
Some examples of private mountain guiding include:
- One day of 1:1 guided winter ice climbing at grade V on Ben Nevis (e.g. Point 5 Gully or Orion Direct)
- One day of 1:1 guided winter climbing on Tower Ridge, Ben Nevis
- Two days of 1:2 learning to lead winter climbs in Glencoe (e.g. Dorsal Arete or NC Gully)
- Two days of 1:2 mountaineering preparation for Island Peak, Nepal (one day of fixed rope and abseil training in Glen Nevis, followed by one day of winter mountaineering on Beinn a’Chaorainn)
- Three days of 1:4 (with a family) guided winter mountaineering in Lochaber (e.g. Ledge Route on Ben Nevis, School House Ridge in Glencoe)
- Two days of 1:2 summer mountaineering on the Black Cuillin, Isle of Skye (e.g. Clach Glas-Blaven Traverse, Sgurr Mhic Choinnich-Inn Pinn-Sgurr na Banachdich)
- Two days of 1:4 winter skills and basic alpine ropework in preparation for the Chamonix to Zermatt Walker’s Haute Route (skills day on Aonach Mor, making use of the gondola followed by a ropework day in Coire na Ciste, Ben Nevis)
- One day of 1:1 guided hillwalking expedition to the remote Corbett; Ben Adan in Knoydart.
Guiding Tower Ridge in Winter
One of the most popular options for private mountain guiding in winter is the magnificent Tower Ridge on Ben Nevis. The below video features Alan Kimber, former owner and founder of West Cost Mountain Guides, climbing and describing the ascent of Tower Ridge.